Tuesday, February 16, 2010

lit kitsch



Lauren, possibly my most bibliophilic friend (given how many times she scoops me on cheap first editions over at AbeBooks) thought I would enjoy Out of Print Clothing.

And I do.

It's certainly a step above The Great Gatsby t-shirt at Urban Outfitters, which filled me with equal parts lust and disgust. I guess I just don't want my favorite books kitschified (um, go with it) and slapped on a pre-distressed overpriced t-shirt like TMNT or Sesame Street.

Of course, I couldn't resist buying a Where the Wild Things Are shirt last summer. But somehow the reselling of my childhood bothers me less than the marketing of wearable representations of lit classics.

But, buy a shirt and give a book? Admirable. And that Moby Dick cover is killer.

No comments: