Sunday, December 21, 2008

drastic plastic

I am a recovering compact disc addict. This is a good thing. Mostly.

My collection broke 1500 during 2007, spurred by a weekly three-disc habit (thanks a lot, Electric Fetus). And then, 2008 hit. I believe I've purchased fewer than 20 CDs this year, and that's a generous estimate.

I partially blame Wired, because I decided in 2008 to purchase albums on vinyl, if at all possible. CDs no longer held any physical appeal for me.

There was a time when I loved nothing better than the scent of a just-opened jewel case; new car was nothing compared to fresh polywrap and plastic. I'm sure there was something Pavlovian about it.

Along with the record company execs, I blame the Internet for the demise of the compact disc. But for me, the lack of anticipation is what killed my love of CDs. That, and the fact that 1500 CDs take up space. Lots of space. And are a pain to move. A real pain.

I digress. Anticipation, go. I remember eagerly awaiting the release of Pearl Jam's No Code during the summer of 1996. Hell, I remember begging a ride to Best Buy in Woodbury to pick up the first single off No Code, "Who You Are." Pearl Jam was easily my favorite band when I was 15, so it was an event when they put out something new.

For three months straight, I listened to almost nothing but No Code. Before I went to sleep, while I rode the bus, after I got home from school. That just doesn't happen anymore, and I know why.

Release dates don't mean a damn thing anymore. I have Bon Iver's fantastic new EP, Blood Bank, and I'm sure you have it too. And if you don't have it, it's only a few clicks away. I love Bon Iver now almost as much as I loved Pearl Jam when I was 15 (and I say "almost" because I don't think it's quite possible to love things at 27 the way you loved things at 15). January 20, Blood Bank's release date, won't hold any special significance for me. I won't mark it like August 27, 1996.

By the time Blood Bank is physically released, I will have moved on to a dozen other albums or EPs or Internet-only remixes that were leaked or legally made available on the Web.

I still hunger for new music, but it's not the same. I am always scouring the Web for something new and exciting, whether it's some hot remix featuring a new Dr Dre verse or Justin Vernon and co. covering The Outfield.

I know I loved at least a few albums that came out in 2008 (list forthcoming), but I'm already thinking about mid-2009. Perhaps it's my Web addiction, or maybe I'm just making excuses for procrastinating on my year-end top ten. Seriously, I'll get around to it... as soon as I find my copy of that Pearl Jam single to sell to Half Price Books.

No comments: